Are you SO sick of making dinner these days? I finally got excited when I went to the store and saw that asparagus is back in season (so are artichokes — my absolute favorite). Not that we haven’t seen asparagus in the store all year, but it’s really in season right now. So I plan to incorporate as much asparagus into my life as my family will allow. Is there such thing as an asparagus cocktail?
This recipe is super simple and one that I use all of the time. It’s great when you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but want to make something healthy that your family will actually eat. Choose a flank or a flap steak and cut thin strips on the bias. I’m using red peppers and asparagus — but feel free to be creative and put in lots of different kinds of vegetables. The key is to not over cook.
Flank Steak Stirfry with Asparagus and Red Pepper
* 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths (about 1 1/2 cups)
* 1 lb of flank steak, sliced in half lengthwise (along the grain) and then cut into thin strips, 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide (put the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing to make it easier to slice)
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed, and cut into thin strips 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide
* 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved into 3 Tablespoons of water (if you have a little jar with a lid, put this combo into the jar and shake really hard)
All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
* 3 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free version)
* 1 tsp finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
* 1 small clove garlic, minced
* 1 green onion, including green tops, chopped
* 1/2 tsp chili oil
Feel free to add more ginger or chili oil to taste — I also add red pepper flakes
* parboil asparagus pieces for about 2 minutes — then rinse in cold water and set aside
* make your rice — I always use an electric rice cooker. Saves time and the rice is always perfect.
* stir-fry asparagus for about 2 minutes until browned — then set aside
* stir-fry beef until browned — but still a little pink on the inside (about 2-3 minutes) Don’t overdo it!
* add red pepper and toss around with beef for about 2 more minutes
* toss in cornstarch mixture and stir fry sauce: stir and let thicken. Add asparagus and toss to coat.
* Serve immediately with brown rice.